Monday, March 16, 2009

Ready for Yard Sales

Coming from Arizona, where yard sales ran year-round and having them rain out was about as likely as the Cardinals going to the Super Bowl (well, at the time), I have had to get used to the idea that - in Roanoke - there's only so many months of yard sales, and rain is a deal breaker.

I figured March would be the start of this year's yard sale season, but this weekend was a little too soggy for people ready to rid themselves of their spring-cleaning junk. With the erratic back and forth weather, yard salers are probably as confused as my flowers as to what to do next.

Hopefully this coming weekend will bring more sellers out. I haven't had the pleasure of sifting through old books and VHS tapes in some months, and I long for a little haggling.

I suppose I'll even be planning my own annual sale within a month or so, which - for the past two summers - had been bar-none the best means of meeting and conversing with my neighbors. In one advantage over Arizona yard sales, around here I've run into people I've met at sales time and again, and sales are always a good reason to strike up some conversation with complete strangers.

This yard sale season, I'll be posting some experiences, tips, and leads on Tramping Roanoke, so come on back and feel free to share your own experiences and insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment