Monday, March 9, 2009

Dining Out: Thai Orchid

I must admit, I was aiming to eat at The Judge's Chambers based on a friend's suggestion, but since it was closed this last Saturday, we decided to try to the Thai Orchid right across the street on 1st in downtown Roanoke.

Though the poor weather and notoriously scant downtown traffic many weekends meant we were the only patrons for lunch. The restaurant was nice and clean, to include the bathrooms, with a smattering of Thai decorations and with a uniformity that was pleasing and conveyed professionalism.

The owner/server was a quiet man who spoke very good English; service was prompt, but - again - we were the only customers. I imagine it could get a little slow if the place were really busy.
My wife and I shared the spring rolls with peanut sauce for an appetizer, and then the dinner portion of the Massaman Curry. The spring rolls were very flavorful, though mild (I suppose we could have requested spicy, but didn't).

The curry was also quite good. Not the best Thai I've had in Virginia, but right up there. The dinner portion was just right for the two of us.

Our lunch came to about $20, which is a little pricey for having had water and sharing an entree, but certainly not bad for such unique food so well prepared, either.

Well illustrated menus, mild food, and the owner's skill with English would make Thai Orchid an easy choice for any beginners wishing to give Thai a taste without knowing much about the food.

3 comments:

  1. I've always equated Thai food with peanut sauce, or noodles, neither of which I'm a big fan of. Perhaps I need to give it another try and since there are pictures on the menu maybe I'll find something I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad that the restaurant was empty until you walked in. The location is difficult for Roanoke but the food is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully both it and the Judge's Chambers will help each other out, since they're both new. The post office being right there shouldn't hurt for foot traffic, either.

    ReplyDelete