Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dining Out in Roanoke: Grace's Place Pizzeria

Grace's Place is within walking distance, but I still drive because that's just what we do sometimes. Parking can be a bear in Grandin Court (all the more reason to walk) but we found a spot open and perused the restaurants for dinner.

I've actual been to Grace's before, but that was before I wrote reviews, so - other than what I ate - I probably couldn't tell you much.

Last night, though, Grace's was pretty packed. Oh wait, that's pretty much any night, which is good and bad. Bad in that the place gets a little cramped, but good in that you can have a meal with the security that collective wisdom speaks to the place's finer qualities, which in Grace's case is certainly the food.

That's not to say that the wait staff isn't nice - they are - nor that the restaurant is unkempt - it's rather tidy by my reckoning. It is a little tight, though, which could make grazing the medicore saled bar a little burdensome, so I stuck with ordering some real food and sitting in a booth.

My wife and I split the spinach artichoke dip for our app and then split the vegetable primavera sub. The dip was quite good, with rugged little toast pieces in lieu of chips. It was a little oily, so this is not a diet food, to be sure.

The sub, though, stole the show. Subtleties liked the roasted red peppers and basil really set if off, and I considered pulling the whole "What's that behind you?" trick on my wife to get a bit of her half, but I figured she wouldn't fall for it anyway.

The meal was quite reasonable, our bill was $13 and change minus the tip. The service was good, and the food came out incrementally, as expected, so none of that "he's your app with your meal" stuff.

We'll definitely hit up Grace's again sometime, though - judging by the mad rush of people to fill our parking spot when we left - we'll be walking next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment