Monday, March 2, 2009

Parking and Transportation: The Campbell Mart Makeover

The fact that Wachovia Tower's parking garage downtown was constructed by either a blind man or Satan himself is common knowledge. Many of my co-workers bear battle scars from run-ins with the garage's moronic angles, exposed water main's, and tight corners.

I have born three such scars on both of my vehicles. I would like to say that I wear them with pride, but I'm still horse from the shouting match I had with myself after the third "love tap" with that garage (which should hereafter be referred to as "The Mangler").

Signs upon exit read "Watch your mirrors" and other signs remind the new and uninitiated that the garage isn't responsible for the multiple collisions you're sure to endure during your stay. At least the staff members are nice, though I don't know where that guy from Brooklyn went to.

Alas, I have to admit that I harbor many of the same fears regarding the proposed parking structure to go into the bottom floor of the Campbell Mart on Campbell Ave. Hey, I'm glad someone's going to do something with it, and we certainly need more parking downtown, but my car and I both quiver when we think about another "converted" parking space.

Perhaps my trepidation will prove unfounded, and the refurbished Campbell Mart will bear little resemblance to The Mangler. But some wounds take a long time to forget. Just ask my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment