Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mill Mountain Theater draws ire

By now you may have heard about Mill Mountain Theater closing down, and perhaps you said to yourself: "Ah, that's too bad. I should have gone to the theater more."

Well, you might be singing a different tune if you'd just purchase tickets, 'cause those of us who spent our sparse dollars on trying to support local theater are being handed nothing but ambiguity in return.

Will the last show "Driving Miss Daisy" happen or not? While 20 theater employees are now surfing the unemployment line, I'd like to know what kind of show they had in mind.

But, hark, on their Web site it's business as usual. If there's mention of closure, I sure don't see it, and yet there's still the ability to buy tickets, even season tickets, and for a show or shows that will likely not even happen!

My ticket was open-ended, which means that, if they put on "Daisy" I can still attend, but what about season ticket holders who're now stuck with a few extra sheets of toilet paper? Not to mention mine were for box seats: a gift, but now sans employees, I guess it's BYOB.

Theater spokesman Jason Bingham told WDBJ7 that: "It's heartbreaking." I would have to agree: seeing the smoke but not yelling fire to the 20 employees hereafter referred to as The Damned is heartbreaking.

Way to give less than 24 hrs notice of your closure and still sell tickets, Mill Mountain.
If I do get the honor of seeing "Daisy" you can bet that whether the theater rises from its ashes or not, it will be my last show.

3 comments:

  1. I even saw a commercial last night on tv for MMT. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you'd think the advertising budget would get the axe before the employees, but apparently not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sooo looking forward to seeing Greater Tuna. At least we still have Showtimers.

    ReplyDelete