Saturday, January 17, 2009

Eating Out: Café Asia


Gratefully foregoing a Friday night with nothing more to do than sit at home on our respective computers, my wife and I except an invitation to meet friends at the new Café Asia on Valley Gateway Blvd.

The restaurant is beside Kroger's and has been open for a month or two, I gather. Our friends had been there twice before, and enjoyed it.
So, starting out with my staple - an Asahi beer - we ordered sushi for apps. My wife's a vegetarian, and I'm a pescetarian, but that still left plenty of options. We had the avocado roll, which was very good. To our delight, the owner/operator brought out some fried tuna roll for us to try, which was equally smashing.

I had the Thai rice noodles with shrimp, which was a lot like an angel-haired version of pad Thai with a little less of a peanut taste. I meant to save some, but cleaned my plate like a good, raised-in-the-'80s kid.

The bill wasn't bad: $35 with tip for two people with a drink and sushi. The menu is eclectic to say the least, with pho and stir fry as well as wanton noodles and sushi. Let's put it this way: if you like Asian food, there's something there you'll dig on.

The owner is very friendly, and there were at about 2/3rds capacity, near as my unobservant eyes could glean, so I hope they have found a solid locale.

Would any readers like to see a pic of my entrée when I eat out and write about the place? If so, please comment below or use the contact email to let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment