Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Carmike 10 ahead of the game

In times of economic downturns such as these, there are a few industries that will inevitably suffer: travel, leisure, and film. While the MPAA whines about piracy being the bane of sluggish theater profits (they said the same thing about VHS and DVD as well), they seem to have ignored the abundantly clear fact that spending $30 per couple to glean 90 minutes of entertainment isn't the best investment (though - apparently - neither are my mutual funds as of late).

And yet, thanks largely to Movie Tirades, I've found myself wanting to see more and more movies, either on DVD or, especially, at the theater.

The theater is the one place where I'm a total sellout when it comes to buying concession: I want a drink and snacks. It's a part of the experience for me. If I can't afford them, then I simply go to the theater less rather than go without.

However, while other theaters are scratching their heads wondering what the heck to do about falling attendance, Carmike 10 has stepped up to the plate and taken some action in a few key ways:

1. Student discount. This theater didn't use to have one, which put a bad taste in my mouth because their typical tickets are pricier than some other theaters (currently an adult, night show costs $9.25). I would cringe when my friend, who - for some reason - was only interested in the Carmike 10, would ask if I'd like to join him. Now, though, they have the discounted student rate of $7.50, which - while I've seen better - is a great step in the right direction.

2. Midday shows. While their noon shows are still the same price as any other matinee, stepping up and being one of the only theaters with such an early show is a big plus. Despite my affinity for catching a good flick, I like to go in when it's light and come out when it's still light, so that I don't feel like I've spent the whole day in a movie.

3. Popcorn bucket. When I bought my Indiana Jones $6 bucket of popcorn, I had to convince my wife that it would end up being a good deal. With 50 cent refills for the next few months after Indiana hit the big screen, surely we'd make up for the difference and get out money's worth.
Then they extended the bucket's use until the end of 2008. Now, the same bucket is good for all of 2009! That's the kind of deal that will keep me coming back to Carmike 10. I've gotten quite a few 50 cent buckets since then, and I've got 11 months and change still left on it.

4. Going digital. I'll admit, there's not a whole lot of difference prima facie in digital and analog for your average film, but now that Carmike 10 has made the digital conversion, they can offer 3D movies (I'm anxious to try my first very soon). For many theaters, this conversion will come at a tremendous cost - a price that has to be handed down to the customer, unfortunately. But with Carmike's other recent incentives, I don't see it dissuading me anytime soon.

So while many theaters bemoan these tough times, Carmike 10 is doing what it takes to get people in the door, and - in my case - it's working.

3 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the Valley8 has gone in the opposite direction. I mainly go there because it's closer than Carmike10 and like you I enjoy matinees, at the 8 they're only $5. I too like my popcorn but they've increased the price now to $7.50 for a large and no more free refills. The popcorn was stale, filled with those little hard kernels and tasted burnt. I remember the days when they actually made it on site. Now they just open a huge plastic bag and dump it out. The last couple of times I went the heat was not working or they kept it very cold. My kids go to the 10 and say the theatres are like night and day. I guess the next time I'll splurge for the extra bucks and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that about the 8: the good and the bad. I guess my one hesitation (aside from concession) in going to a cheaper theater is the propensity for random conversations, which is significantly lower at more expensive theaters, I find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well there would actually have to be an audience to overhear random conversations and usually we find ourselves sitting alone at the 8 so I don't know about that theory ;)

    ReplyDelete