Saturday, January 24, 2009

Dining Out: Hollywood's Restaurant and Bakery

While this may have little to do with new Hollins-area restaurant Hollywood's, I just need to say that our going there was an accident. We were headed to a local place that will remain nameless. Small, quiet, earthy, and utterly closed. Why the hell small business is surprised that it has no customers when it spends half the time closed is a riddle that baffles me.

Anyway, Hollywood's was a decent second choice, to be sure. The environment was pretty typical: plenty of room, good lighting, and the bakery wares calling to customers from just left of the entrance.

We'd planned on only dessert and coffee, but my wife ordered the cheese fries as an app with dessert to follow, forgetting to check ingredients. Alas, the fries came out with bacon bits, but the waitress was very nice about taking them back for some "vegetarian" fries (potatoes is a vegetable, right?).

I had the peanut butter pie, which was good. My wife had a cake called "Better Than Sex" that I liked a little better (though perhaps not quite as much as advertised, given the name).
The service was good and the prices were very reasonable.

We ate with friends who had full meals that were well portioned, and looked good, though we resisted asking for bites just to have something for the review.

For a Friday night, the place had a good draw, though not on a wait or anything. While Hollins is a little outta my hood, I could see returning to try some of the other desserts, of which there are plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment