Friday, May 15, 2009

Dining Out: Ukrops for Dinner

All right, so maybe eating at the Ukrops deli and salad might seem to fall a little short of dining out to some, but consider this: I've seen Chinese buffets with much less selection. While running errands, my wife and I lost steam to go home and cook (well, she lost steam, since I don't do much cooking).

Hark, close by loomed Ukrops and a tasty salad bar with plenty of extras, not to mention the grazing along the way. My watch read a little after 7pm, though I gave the time no notice. But then, heading in to see what sorts of muscle-building goodies the bakery offered as samples, we came across three different samplers, each of which was far larger than you might expect.

Admittedly, I had already stuffed my face with a spice cake and a little pound cake before getting to the salad bar.

When you get heavy extras, like tuna salad or noodles, you have to expect the price to shoot up. It's not exactly spinach leaves. Even so, I figured mine wouldn't be too bad, since I'd grown accustomed to around $5 - $6 a pound for salad.

And yet, ringing up with two huge salads and a dessert (as if the cake weren't enough) was just over $8.

What's going on here? I wondered, though of course I just quickly paid as if I were getting away with something that I didn't want the cashier to notice.

I guess the salad bar and select other items are 33% off after 7pm. I'm sure the hour was also the reason for such generous grazing at the bakery.

And sitting upstairs overlooking Franklin Rd is kinda nice, too. It was quiet, and the well-stocked accouterments upstairs leaves little to be desired.

So, lessen learned: if you want some good, cheap eats after 7pm, but don't want to go for the whole sit-down restaurant with the wait and the tip, then give Ukrops a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment