Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dining Out: Awful Arthur's

I've eaten at the Tower's Mall Awful Arthur's twice in the last couple of weeks, and I have to say that the name is a total misnomer.

What might also be misunderstood is the cost. Sure, there were some pricier items on the menu, but I think it's all a matter of timing.

I went the first time during dinner happy hour, which - luckily - is not confined to the smoking bar area. The locally brewed beers were $2.50, and the one I had - a lighter ale - was quite good.

On the dinner menu were a number of items that broke the $10 range, sure, but there were also various salads, apps, and - most importantly - sandwiches that were $6 - $8 with a side. I had the catch of the day (which usually spells mucho dinero) for $7 with a side. Can't beat that.

After the good experience (despite somewhat mediocre service), I went back for lunch and found that the $6 items were gone, though there were still some $7 choices. I suppose I could have asked for a dinner menu, given that there were more "lunchy" items on the dinner menu than the lunch menu, but I went with the shrimp and scallop wrap for $7. It was quite packed with both, not some rice or lettuce filled wrap with a tablespoon of popcorn shrimp. I even took some home after the first half and a side filled me up.

So, with the right choices, Awful Arthur's doesn't have to mean an expensive dinner or drinking. Time it right and you'll get the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment