Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dinner and a movie...sorta

When my wife asked if I'd like to come along to a girlfriend's afternoon get-together, she had me at "free food." I figured it would be a little gender weighted on the female side, but - aside from the guy showing up to give a ride after the affair was over - I remained, in fact, the only dude there.

We were tasting Two Sisters Gourmet, though what I saw was a table full of food - most of which I could eat despite maintaining a vegetarian diet. So I loaded my plate while saying hello to those I knew and introducing myself to those I didn't. I had a full plate by the time I sat down, though everyone else was tasting each thing in turn.

Only slightly embarrassed, I waited until each item was introduced until eating it on my plate and making a few comments about this or that.

My wife and I decided on the sweet cheese ball and the garlic dip seasoning.

However, while there I also met a fellow movie reviewer: Elizabeth "Biz" from Grandin Film Review. I told her about my own movie blog, and we talked movies for a while over cheese, bread, and crackers dipped in anything within arm's reach.

With no cable, I hadn't caught her local show, but they are also available online along with previews and snippets of the films being reviewed, with an impressive archive that must stretch back to their beginnings in 2006.

So, free gourmet food and a chance to talk film - who cares that I was greatly outnumbered?

Plus, there was always the testosterone-filled Superbowl mere hours away to ensure that gender neutrality was not far afield.

No comments:

Post a Comment