Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Break in Sunday Routine

In the spirit of trying new things, my wife and I went to a different church this past Sunday. That's not to say that we normally go to church, but when we do, it's Presbyterian. So we thought we'd branch out and try out...wait for it...Colonial Presbyterian Church.

Okay, so we didn't branch too far, but it's still something different. At least the drive through winding residential neighborhoods was a change.

Sure, we might have been partially motivated by the soup, salad, chili and potato bar immediately following the service, and the fact that our friends were working the event to raise money for a mission trip to South America.

The church is slightly smaller than I'm used to, with a capacity of - taking a shot in the dark - 200 people. It was at about 60% capacity on Sunday, with a pretty eclectic age range. I usually find that churches have active youths and active elderly groups, but anything from 18-55 is a little lacking. I got too narrow of view of Colonial Pres to glean that information, though.

Regardless, the people were extremely nice, the food was very tasty (with many options - even vegetarian). The sermon was well thought-out and a story I had only heard once or twice (Elijah, if you're interested). Typically, the sermon is the only part of the service I really care about anyway: singing and ritual mantras do little to lift my soul, let's say.

So despite the sad news that our friends will soon be leaving us for up north, I'm sure we'll make it back to Colonial Pres before then, perhaps - though not necessarily - contingent upon the occasion. It's hard to pass up good chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment